[Logo: Homes and Communities: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development]
[Vea la versi�n en espa�ol de esta p�gina] [Contact Us] [Display the text version of this page] [Search/Index]

Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control
A Healthy Home
Grant Programs
Lead Paint
Mold and Moisture
Renting or Buying?

HUD news



Working with HUD

Mailing lists
RSS Feeds

[The U.S. government's official web portal]  

Visual Assessment Training

- -
 Information by State
 Print version

What does the regulation require?

For certain programs such as tenant-based Section 8 rental assistance, the HUD Regulation on Lead-Based Paint Hazards in Federally Owned Housing and Housing Receiving Federal Assistance requires:

  • Visual assessment of housing units for deteriorated paint
  • The stabilization and repair of all deteriorated paint
  • The visual assessor must be trained to perform a visual assessment

You will need to identify deteriorated paint in the units you evaluate. All deteriorated paint must be stabilized.

Programs affected by the lead regulation

Some of the programs affected by the new HUD lead regulation include:

  • Project-Based Assistance Provided by a Federal Agency Other Than HUD
  • Project-Based Rental Assistance
  • Acquisition, Leasing, Support Services, or Operation
  • (i.e., Down payment assistance, Emergency shelter, Leasing, Support services)

Visual Assessment is also conducted as a part of:

  • LBP Risk Assessment (i.e., Repair of substrate damage, Clearance examination conducted after lead hazard control activities)

Take the Test!

Content current as of 5 November 2007   Follow this link to go  Back to top   
FOIA Privacy Web Policies and Important Links  Home [logo: Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity]
[Logo: HUD seal] U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410
Telephone: (202) 708-1112   TTY: (202) 708-1455
Find the address of a HUD office near you